Tuesday, May 20, 2014

How to start? - DIY!

I started my bookstore with very few books, a low budget and no inventory in the room where I was going to set up the store. But still I was determined that there was going to be a bookstore! Luckily, in our backyard we have a lot of crap lying around, and as it turned out, a few treasures also. And so I started building my first bookshelf with old cement blocks and wood I found in the backyard. After a few coats of varnish I think it turned out to look kind of antique style, which I love! 


Of course, my carpenter laughed at me when I showed him my masterpiece, and told me it would collapse within a couple of weeks, so I shouldn´t put anything of value in the shelfs. Well, it´s been standing in my store for almost a year now, full of valuable books in spanish - so Hah! 

When I decided it was time to open my bookstore I had maybe 5 or 6 boxes of books collected, which I though was a lot, until I started placing them on the shelves and realised I had nothing. I am almost a bit embarrassed looking back at how I started out, but at the same time it feels good because I realise how fast you can make a small business grow with hard work, dedication, lots of love for books and good people around you! 


After a while my bookshelf started to fill up, and I had to get more bookshelves... 


No comments:

Post a Comment