Thursday, May 15, 2014

First things first...

To be able to open up a bookstore, or do anything at all, there are people around you that help you, support you and encourage you. Opening up the bookstore without these people wouldn´t have been nearly as easy and fun as this process has been for me. So before writing anything else on this blog, I have to thank all these wonderful people.

Rigo on the top of Momotombo
The whole thing was Rigo´s idea, so I guess I have to give him some credit for that. Rigo, my boyfriend and partner in the bookstore, is educated as a medical doctor, but decided to reinvent himself and started working in tourism. He risked a lot of things when he made this decision, but still he worked hard, made contacts, studied the nature and history of Nicaragua - and made himself (in my and many others opinion) the best guide in Nicaragua. So, his life in itself is an inspiration. But in addition to that, he has always encouraged me, supported me, given me his thoughts and ideas, given me his books, driven me around the country to pick up books, and lent me the front room of his house to start the bookstore. Rigo has a big heart and helps everyone he can, and for that (and everything else), I adore him! 

Me and Rigo shopping in
Lucha Libro in Granada
A couple of years ago I was wandering the streets of Granada and stumbled upon a tiny, but cosy bookstore. I went in and started talking to the owner, Troy. We were just chit-chatting, and I had no idea that he would be such a big part of making my bookstore-dream come true. About a year later I was back in Granada and wanted to look up Troy again. I walked and walked but could not find the bookstore! So I though, Oh shit, this bookstore thing might not be a good idea cause he seems to have given up or gone bankrupt. But then I turned a corner and there it was; LUCHA LIBRO, with much bigger and nicer facilities. Just that gave me a boost to start my bookstore! And after talking to Trey, hearing about all of his experiences and advices, I was ready. And still to this day, this man keeps helping me, advising me, hooking me up with contacts, and sending me books. Thank you Troy, I really appreciate that you took me under your wing and help me out in the bookstore-world!

Last but not least, I want to thank all my friends and family in León and from all over the world (mostly from Norway) who have supported my idea, brought me books, sent me books and bought books from me. It´s amazing what you can achieve with good people around you; because of you I  have been able to make my dream come true and open my second hand bookstore in León.


Thank you all!!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely...Look forward to returning to Leon someday and buying some books :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY!what about your friends from Canada? :) This is great and your little story is of great inspiration! Living your dream makes up memories... and your Canadian friends have a big box of books to send you over! When would it be the right time...? now or when you return from Europe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you guys are of great inspiration as well, and thank you for all your encouragement and support! I can´t believe you are sending a box all the way down here! :) The best time would be when we get back I think. Thank you so much, and we look forward to seeing you again in NIcaragua! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hasta luego for now...! Tell Rigo I am about done with the book you guys gave me "the country under my skin" by Belli! Great book!

    ReplyDelete