Sunday, March 27, 2016

Bird watching in León

If you are interested in bird watching, Nicaragua is your perfect destination. In our bookshop we offer books that will guide you to the best bird watching places in the country, help you identify the bird species and water proof field-guides you can bring on your expeditions. 


Bilingual guide to the birds of Nicaragua (Eng/Spa)


Waterproof field-guides with names in english and spanish

















I love to take pictures of birds and some of my favourite places to do bird watching are right here in our city of León and surroundings. 

In the Nature Reserve Isla Juan Venado you can spot a great variety of birds, both migratory and permanent residents. The nature reserve is a 22 km long mangrove forest with a river created by an barrier island. It stretches from Las Peñitas beach to Salinas Grande on the other side, both places a short drive from Leon. You can go into the river by boat or by kayak from either side of the nature reserve, and if you go with an experienced guide, they will help you spot even the almost invisible birds!

American Pygmy Kingfisher/Martin Pescador in Isla Juan Venado
Egrets flying into the nature reserve 

Mangrove swallows in Isla Juan Venado

Boat-billed Heron 
Northern Potoo




















Broad-winged Hawk
We spotted these Roseate Spoonbills on the way from León to Las Peñitas. You can also see a Great Egret,
a Snowy Egret, and what I think is a Wood Stork in the background. 

Another great place to observe birds is in the Ecolodge Quinta Yolanda, just 8km from the city center of León. This is the home to many animal species, and especially several bird species. They offer lodging there in small huts, and if you get up with the sun you are guaranteed to spot several birds at a very close range. Afterwards you can swim in the refreshing river and observe more birds further into the dry tropical rainforest. 















At the Ecolodge Quinta Yolanda is where I have spotted the national bird, Guardabarranco, on the closest hold (sadly I didn´t have my camera with me). 






And finally, right here in the patio of our home Hostal Calle de los Poetas I drink my morning coffee together with a group of parakeets, hummingbirds and woodpeckers. I have even seen a Barn owl here once! Both in the early morning and afternoon several birds gather in our patio to eat fruits from our trees. This morning I am pretty sure I saw a beautiful Elegant Trogon, but next time I will sit ready with my camera to prove it! 

Parakeet in our patio in Hostal Calle de los Poetas

Cinnamon Hummingbird in our garden in Hostal Calle de los Poetas


No comments:

Post a Comment